Smurf Garden Cake

Smurf Gaden Cake

Smurf Gaden Cake

This is one of my birthday cakes that my husband made in 2013. I have been going through my pictures I had put aside for blogging and this came up. We had fun making this cake. He is not a decorator. He can bake. The decorating is normally passed on to me.

I asked for a Red Velvet Cake with Cream Cheese boiled icing. Now, one of my earlier posts has a Red Velvet Cheesecake and the recipe calls for 1/4 cup red food colour. This recipe relies mostly on the reaction between baking soda (bi carb) and cocoa powder and only requires 6 drops of colour. The book has a Beet Red Velvet Cake variation where beetroot is required instead of food colour.

The cake recipe is from A World of Cake by Krystina Castella. We tried to make the Cream Cheese boiled icing but the mixture split so we used chocolate frosting from Betty Crocker.

Red Velvet Cake as shown in the recipe book

Red Velvet Cake as shown in the recipe book

Some of the toys are from McDonalds Happy meal that could be bought separately for $2 each. The green grass is grated Wilton’s green melts. The logs all round are Cadbury Flake. The smaller smurf is standing on a Cadbury Crispello. The mushrooms and the scattered green leaves are made of marshmallow fondant.

Papa Smurf

Papa Smurf

Vexy

Vexy

The cake was delicious. My girls loved it.

Battenburg Birthday Cake

20130715-210716.jpg

I’m usually the one baking cakes for the family while my husband is more cookies and muffins kind of guy. My last birthday, however, he decided he wanted to bake for me.

My Mom had posted us a cake book called A World of Cake. The book has many different types of cakes but the one that took my fancy was Battenburg cake.
It’s an English cake. Apparently it’s so popular in England that it’s produced commercially now. A search on Google images shows pictures with a lot of creativity but I just wanted something simple.

My husband baked 2 cakes, a chocolate and a vanilla but he is not so soft fingered so he passed the decoration to me. The hardest part was to cut the strips to matching sizes. We ended up with half the cake as “waste”. Delicious “waste” though which we had for breakfast.

Once cut, I put jam on each strip to stick them to each other and assembled my block. Husband had bought white fondant from the supermarket which I rolled out and wrapped the block. I had read on some blog to run the back of a knife diagonally to get the diamond look. I finished the decoration with edible metallic balls.